According to scriptures Ramayana, Srimad Bhagavatha, Bhagavath Geetha, etc., there are 9 categories of devotion. A devotee is always free to choose any path which he/she feels comfortable with. No one category is superior or inferior to other. These 9 categories of devotion (bhakti) are called Navavida Bhakthi:
1. SHRAVANA: Listening to mantra chants, reading of various scriptures, etc. by another person or through medias.
2. KEERTHANA: Singing devotional songs, bhajans, chanting, etc.
3. SMARANA: Constantly remembering and meditating upon Lord’s name and form.
4. PAADASEVANA: Doing selfless services to all seeing divinity in every beings.
5. ARCHANA: Worshiping the Lord through rituals like pooja, homa, etc.
6. VANDANA: Prostrating before the image or idol of Lord.
7. DASYA: Seeing onself as the servent of Lord and respecting Lord’s will without one’s ego.
8. SAKHYA: Seeing Lord as best friend.
9. AATHMANIVEDANA: Complete self surrendering to Lord.